The Look of Love: With Littles

February 17, 2016, by Deena @Shoes to Shiraz


Just over two and a half years ago, I went from being the well-rested female half of a fun, independent partnership (marriage) to being a mom. Coincidentally, my handsome hubs also became a dad and since then, there have been one or two slightadjustments to our lives.
Photo by Kristin Neufeld Photography

One of my biggest worries before we decided to have kids was the RESPONSIBILITY of the whole situation. Let's just say Nathan keeps the houseplants alive and one of my recurring pregnancy nightmares involved driving off with the carseat teetering on top of the car, forgotten coffee-style. 


Imagine my delight when adding kids to our family mix turned out to be our most daring and rewarding decision yet... also the HARDEST one yet, but still the best. I am learning so much from this parenting gig, but one unexpected benefit has been the way my love for my man has expanded, even though we have less alone time, energy, and sleep than ever before. 

It ain’t what it used to be (impromptu road trips and leisurely evenings out), but...

Here’s a snapshot of what love looks like in our household with two littles. 

1. When your eyes meet across the room… 

and it’s like playing chicken. 

Who will volunteer as tribute and:
  • change the diaper?
  • go settle the non sleeping child
  • stop the toddler from strangling a cat?


 
Soft kitty. Warm kitty…

She really loves cats. 

Point being, every time my husband jumps to parent our girls, it melts my heart. 


2. When you get a glimpse of how great your spouse is…

through your child’s eyes. 

Nothing gets to me quite as much as watching Nathan put our little ladies to bed. His patience, his kindness, and the time he takes to read ALL THE BOOKS. I mean, ALL THE PAGES, people. Not that I don’t… read ALL the pages. Okay, I think we all know I don’t. Dr. Seuss and I have an abridged agreement. 

What a literal literate stud.



3. When you get that magical time alone…

and you both agree that sleep is really romantic.

It's an exhausting time of life and you're both working as hard as you can to keep everything on the tracks and that’s okay. 


You can laugh about it because you know that this stage is short and that your love story has much more to come. 

So, here’s to looking forward, Valentine. There’s no one else I’d rather adventure through this life with than you. xoxo zzzzzzzzzz.






Abbie is excited to be a new contributor at The Blended Blog. A teacher, wife and self-professed mombie of two littles, Abbie is searching for humour among the Huggies and wisdom in the wining whining. She journals about family, fashion, fitness, and faith from behind her mom goggles at Grumbling Grace

0 comments

Instagram

FOLLOW US @ INSTAGRAM>