Summer Series: The Oregon Coast

August 08, 2016, by Deena @Shoes to Shiraz


Around the country, summer break is winding down and the kids are heading back to school.  But here in the Pacific Northwest, the weather has finally warmed up and we're just getting started!

For my family, it wouldn't be summer without our annual beach trip to the Oregon Coast. We've been renting the same house in Manzanita since the boys were one and three.  The town is small and quaint, and we usually have the seven mile beach almost to ourselves.


Days are spent kayaking, golfing, reading, walking the beach, and relaxing.



Nights are for sunsets and bonfires.



We've traveled to many amazing places in the world, but we keep coming back to the Oregon Coast.  When I'm feeling anxious or unsettled, the beauty of this place calms me.



This year, as the week drew to a close and we were packing to head home, I took a last walk to the beach to breathe in the salt air and listen to the soothing sound of the waves.

I reminisced about the first time I brought my babies, eighteen years ago. In the beginning it was sand castles and naps in the afternoon sun.  Now it's surfing and beers at the bonfire.  They've grown up here, marking the time summer after summer.  I don't know how many more years we'll vacation in Manzanita as a family. Things are changing, and the boys are moving on with their lives.  I hope someday they bring their wives and children, and another generation can grow up with their toes in the same sand.

Yep, things are changing.  But the beach, the town, and the Oregon Coast have stayed the same, and I take great comfort in that.  Because it wouldn't be summer without it.



Lana is a regular contributor to The Blended Blog.   These days you can find her working in her hardware business, trying to keep up with her two boys and crazy husband, and blogging at Two Teens And Their Mama.

0 comments

Instagram

FOLLOW US @ INSTAGRAM>