Featured Friday: Meet Emily

July 01, 2016, by Deena @Shoes to Shiraz

Happy Friday Friends!  Katie from The Mishaps and Mayhem of a Solitary Life here!  I'm so excited to get to introduce you to one of my favorite bloggers today!  Emily from Simply a Rough Draft is a Texas girl, who's fairly new to the blogging world but reading her blog, you'd think she's been doing it forever. I love her honesty and sweet family stories.  I am so glad I found her blog and am really happy she's allowed me and you to get to know her a bit better today!!  Thanks so much Emily!




Other than blogging, what do you do for a living?  

I am a full time wife and mom and absolutely love it.  My husband and I will celebrate our eleventh wedding anniversary next month.  I am the mom of a compassionate and beautiful sixteen-year-old daughter named Kendall, a spirited and inquisitive four-year-old son named Jess, and a sweet and adventurous two-year-old daughter named Jentry.  They are the light of my life! 
In my spare time I also volunteer weekly at a local pregnancy center, where I am a client advocate, and serve on the Board of Directors for the Community Development Corporation in my hometown.  My family and I are also active at our local church, that we love! 

What inspired you to start blogging?

Three words…The Pioneer Woman.  Back in 2007 I discovered her blog and wanted to be her.  I loved her humor, her writing style, and her yummy recipes.  I dabbled in blogging in 2007-2008, but never really stuck with it.  I had mentioned to a few friends and family members over the last few years that I wanted to start a blog and they always encouraged me to do so, but I was too nervous.  I decided last fall that 2016 would be the year of the blog for me…but probably more like Fall 2016.  I wanted to have some time to organize my blog strategy (is there such a thing?).  The one thing that held me back, was that I didn’t have good camera.  What do you know, my mom bought me my first “big girl” camera for Christmas.  Well, that was one excuse down.  Then, a few days after Christmas I dropped my old phone into a mixing bowl accidentally and had to get a new iPhone…that takes much better pictures than my old phone.  So, on a complete whim (so much for blog strategy) I whipped up an appetizer on January 1, 2016 while my husband was watching a bowl game and posted the recipe to start my new and improved blog; Simply A Rough Draft. 

How did you come up with the name of your blog?

I had my daughter, Kendall, when I was twenty years old.  I am an only child and babysat very little growing up.  I have always joked that she was my rough draft child because I had no idea what I was doing.  When I started thinking about blogging the term kept popping in my head.  I thought about all the times we “write” rough drafts in life and how many revisions we have to do to get it where we want it.  Or, sometimes, there are times when our rough draft turns out to be one of the most beautiful master pieces we ever create (like in the case of my daughter).  When you read my blog I want you first and foremost to know I am not an expert, this life is my rough draft.  I will share some recipes, some (small) DIY projects, maybe even some everyday tips, but I will definitely make some mistakes along the way, too.    

What do you consider the biggest reward and greatest challenge of blogging?  

The greatest reward is without a doubt the friendships I have formed through blogging.  It’s kinda crazy how attached you get to people that you have never even met, but read about their lives daily.  I have “met” some wonderful ladies that I refer to as friends.  I have emailed them for advice on blogging, computer help, or just a little encouragement note when I thought they needed it.  I have been thoroughly impressed with the kindness of the blogging community. 

The greatest challenge is writer's block.  It’s like a total flashback to 1998  and I’m in English class tapping my pencil on the desk trying to figure out what the heck to write about.  Sometimes it flows so well…and then it doesn’t.  Ironically, I always have the best ideas in the car (while driving) or in the shower.  I’ll concoct the BEST blog post in my head, word for word…but I can’t write in those moments.  Then, as soon as I get to my laptop….I’ve got nothing!  All of those great things I came up with in my head…gone! 

Describe yourself in three words.

I asked my husband what three words he would use to describe me and he said, “Caring, Witty, and Irrational!”  I asked my sixteen-year-old and she said, “Devoted, Forgetful, and Emotional.”  Wow, thanks guys. 
I’m going to say:  Dilligent, Creative…and a tad high maintenance. 

What is something people may be surprised to know about you?

My friends always find it odd that my two celebrity crushes are Terry Bradshaw and Rod Stewart.  Did I mention I’m only 36 years old?  People my age usually like celebrities like Justin Timberlake or Matthew McConaughey.  I can’t help it; the heart wants what it wants.  And, just incase you’re wondering, my husband is in fact, younger than me.

Describe your ideal date night or family day!

My ideal date night would be sitting on a patio with perfect weather eating sushi with my love.  No, not Terry or Rod, but my REAL love, my husband! 
My ideal family day would be a trip to the Farmer’s Market to pick up some fresh veggies and local steaks, then back home for my husband to grill it up while I chat with Kendall on the patio swing and watch Jess and Jentry play in the sprinklers.  I would just sit back and watch the people that I love the most and completely savor the simplicity. 


Want to know a little bit more about Crazy Ol’ Me?  Check out these posts:

Visit Emily on Social Media:

0 comments

Instagram

FOLLOW US @ INSTAGRAM>