10 years forward: Christy

July 19, 2016, by Deena @Shoes to Shiraz

Good Morning!  It's Christy from rsquared here today for the second installment of our 10 years forward series.  It all started while a few of us were discussing the book What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty.  The book is about a woman that falls off a spin bike and wakes up thinking it was 10 years earlier.  This is one of my favorite books, probably because I enjoy a weekly spin class and know how much it would hurt to fall off your spin bike!  Don't worry, I hold on tight.


Let's take a look at where I'll be in 10 years.  I'll be an almost 47 year old woman with a husband of almost 21 years and 2 boys aged fifteen and eighteen.  Grady will have just graduated from high school and Cooper will be about to enter high school.

Am I the only one who has never actually sat down to think of where my life will be in 10 years?  Sarah did such a good job of being specific about where she imagined her and her family and I am stumped.  Is it bad that I've never really thought about it?

This was a good task for me and forced me to think about where I want my life to be vs where it will be realistically.  Trust me there is a big gap.  Something tells me I won't be living in Hawaii training for marathons and sipping cocktails by the pool.


Realistically I will still be working.  Ideally, I would like to work 3 days, but I don't foresee myself ever going back full time.  My job will be similar to what I am doing now as I don't plan (or want) to move any higher in my profession due to extra stress that I don't want.  I like having a boss that can point me in the right direction and make the decisions that matter.  I like to save my energy for dealing with the family and the chaos that will inevitably be occurring in my household with 2 teenage boys!

I will still be fit. I hope to have completed one half marathon.  As my kids get older and can babysit themselves, I hope to actually increase my fitness levels which will help in my half marathon training.

I will still be surrounded by the same network of friends that have supported me through the trials and tribulations for having a young family.  Instead of talking about diapers, sleep schedules, and breastfeeding we will be talking about dating, sex, and universities.  While the topics of conversation may change the support that my posse will provide won't.


I will still be a hockey mom.  I am not sure if Cooper will continue with hockey all the way to high school but given Grady's love of the sport, I foresee him sticking with it all the way.  I expect that my love of watching the kids play sports will increase over the years.  Once I finally learn what offside is I will understand the sport fully.  When Cooper decides what it is he wants to do as an extra curricular activity I will support him fully and be his biggest cheerleader.  Who knows, he may stick decide to stick with hockey in which case this hockey mom will be very busy!  Secretly, I hope he does.


We will be living in a new home.  We bought our current house 12 years ago, the year before we got married.  It was our first home and while we did a great job in choosing it, we are outgrowing it.  We have been looking around for something new but we are very particular.  James is looking for a bigger garage, I would like a nice kitchen and a bigger closet, and the kids would like a yard that is big enough for a trampoline and a basement made for mini sticks.  #priorities

We will still be close to taking our last summer vacation to Kelowna.  I really hope that the kids come to BC with us every summer for the next 10 years, but after they graduate, I realize that the chances of them wanting to vacation with their parents are slim.  It makes me sad to realize we only have 10 more family summer vacations.  I wonder if I continue to pay if they will continue to come.  Fingers crossed.


For our 20 year anniversary I would love to go to Italy.  I don't feel ready to leave the kids long enough to go on a 'real' vacation yet.  But by then they should be mostly self sufficient and Grandma can just come and vacation at our house while the kids come and go.  Book it in your calendar Grandma!  September 2025!

For someone that had never thought about what the future holds, I came up with lots of thoughts on where I want to be. It will be interesting to look back at this post in 10 years and see how well I did.

Where do you think you'll be in 10 years?






Christy is a regular contributor for the Blended Blog and maintains her personal blog, RSquared.  She is also a working mom to 2 boys and a wife to James.  She loves everything to do with family, friends, fashion, fitness... and wine! 

0 comments

Instagram

FOLLOW US @ INSTAGRAM>