Featured Friday: Jaclyn from The Polhamus Family

April 01, 2016, by Deena @Shoes to Shiraz

Welcome! It's me, Nicole. You may remember from posts such as this one about iPhone photos or my blog Nick & Nicole + 4. Each Friday everyone at The Blended Blog is featuring their favourite blogger, and I knew instantly who I wanted to interview - Jaclyn Polhamus.


Back in 2007 (when I was 27) I first joined Facebook and the first few months were like a giant high school reunion. Not only high school, but I found people I hadn't seen since grade 8! One of them being Scott Polhamus. There were a few of us who were inseparable at that age, and he and I were part of that group. So needless to say I was so happy to have found him. But REALLY surprised when I found out he had 6 kids (at that time). I had 3, and thought that was a lot. And he was younger than me. I loved seeing their photos they would post, and If I remember correctly started following his wife shortly thereafter. Because we were raising young kids together all that the same time I LOVED reading her blogs. We both learned photography and started business around the same time, and I frequently used her Marshmellow Fondant recipe, and still do to this day.  I'm so excited for everyone to meet Jaclyn. I’ll stop rambling and let her talk!



Do you have any children?
Yes, 9 children. I have seven girls and two boys!
What parenting advice would you give to a someone having a new baby? Each child, even within the same family, will be so unbelievably different. There is no one way to do things. They will learn differently, show and receive love differently... Don't be afraid to grow with them. And never underestimate what they are capable of understanding and doing. Encourage them to try new things on their own before you jump in- they may surprise you.
Are you married? Yes, I've been married to my Jr. High sweetheart for sixteen years.
What marriage advice would you give to a couple getting married? What have you learned? Do unto others as you'd have them do unto you. Seems simple, but sometimes it's hardest to apply to those we're closest to. I have learned that there will be times when he is able to give more to the relationship than I do and visa versa. Don't give up or become resentful when it's your turn to give more for a while. He really is my best friend and I love seeing him happy and successful. Also, never compare your relationship to anyone else's.
What would you consider your greatest accomplishment and why?
I hesitate to call this an accomplishment because technically it isn't "accomplished" yet- but homeschooling my children. I'm not the most patient person by nature, and I only wanted two kids growing up. When we tried for number two we ended up with four! So deciding to be a stay at home mom and homeschool our kids was a big decision. Ten years in and I think we're doing alright. I'll get back to you next year when my oldest daughter graduates high school and is (hopefully!) accepted into her school of choice. The Bible says "I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth." That's my goal.
What is your greatest unfulfilled ambition?
I always wanted to become a doctor. I've debated going back to school when my kids get older but I don't exactly want to be in med school when I have grandkids around. I'm leaning more towards getting some basic medical training to be able to use on missions trips. It's a dream of mine to be able to take all of the kids on a missions trip before they are grown up and moved out.
What hobbies do you have other than blogging?
I love reading, crocheting, cooking, spending time outdoors with my kids, and playing games. (the hubs and I are super competitive!) I also enjoy working out with my teenage daughters. We're currently doing a squat challenge together.
What inspired you to start blogging? In 2008, with 7 kids under the age of 8, there was always something going on in our house. My husband was working nights full-time and in college full-time during the day. So when the kids went to bed for the night, blogging was what I did with my free time. I had just started getting into photography and it was a great way to share and connect with family and friends when I couldn't physically be anywhere else.
What is your favourite style season (fall, winter, spring, summer) and why?
I have different reasons for loving each season but overall I'd have to say summer. I love the simplicity of a maxi skirt, tank top, and flip flops. Bring on the heat!
What is your ideal date night? Most of my favourite dates have been an all day event. I love long drives with spontaneous stops and finding random places to eat. Playing a game of basketball or tennis in the afternoon is always fun. Then going for dinner and a movie. Perfection.



Make sure to check out Jaclyn's Blog Here and see her instagram HERE.

0 comments

Instagram

FOLLOW US @ INSTAGRAM>