Featured on Friday: Abbie

January 22, 2016, by Deena @Shoes to Shiraz

Today, we are featuring Abbie from Grumbling Grace
You can follow her on Facebook here


Hi, I’m Abbie.  I’m a high school teacher, wife, toddler tamer, survivor of Canadian winters and my own two littles. I live outside as much as possible and I therapeutically journal during naptime. Follow along or offer professional help atGrumbling Grace.

Do you have any children? What parenting advice would you give to someone having a new baby? 
(Answer is an excerpt from my post “The 5 Friends Every Mama Needs”)
Dear Sweet New Mama,
I don’t care what kind of baby carrier you use or how you sleep train. All I can tell you about motherhood is that you need to hold onto your friendships, lady. The next eighteen years could be really long without some travelling companions. Try to get some shut-eye and stop reading the sleep-training book.  Spoiler: they just sleep whenever they want.
They won't remember this. You're doing it right.


Other than blogging, what do you do for a living (profession)?
 I’m a high school French and English teacher here in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada, the birthplace of winter. I love my job so much I decided it was time to create my own teenagers. Currently I’m at home with my teens-in-training, Emily, age 2 and Gabrielle, 5 months, penning naptime epistles and behind-the-bathroom-door boons.

What is your oddest habit?
 I drink root beer from my coffee mug. I have a two-year-old. No sharing required. You’re welcome.

What hobbies do you have other than blogging?
I love being outside, exploring, travelling, eating. One of my friends recently remarked that she was stunned I have never been on a cruise, since I would be able to simultaneously combine my hobbies. This year, I’m looking forward to trying a few more outdoor activities, after getting back into a reasonable level of fitness after baby number 2. I’ve been enjoying cross-country skiing and winter running, but I’m really looking forward to escaping winter for a beach week coming up soon.

What has been the most rewarding outcome of blogging? 
 I am an introvert. Maybe you’ll pick up on that if you read my blog, but often, because I am an outgoing (read: LOUD) teacher, people are surprised to find that I am a bit reserved and much prefer one-on-one interactions. My husband calls me a social-hermit. I love a get-together, once you can pry me out the door. I love blogging because I get to enjoy all the parts of the party I like, but in my pyjamas. No social awkwardness required. Glorious.

Because I feel like I’m kind of a newbie, the most rewarding part of blogging for me so far is when someone reads what I have to say and responds, “Oh My Gosh. ME TOO.” I might still be in the line up outside the cool blogging club, but I’m enjoying the feeling of community with other women and moms all over the world.


Best beauty tricks? 
Since being at home with my little ladies, I’ve been trying to stretch the budget a little further and still get a little shopping in. I’ve been working on small changes for maximal impact, like these three easy ways to update your look here

 I love a bold lip and my favourite drugstore product right now has to be Revlon Balm Stain Romantic.

 What is the last book you read and would you recommend it? 
I’m a bookworm and I usually prefer fiction to reality (call it escapism, call it being a mom of two kids two and under), but recently I read the book The Best Yes by Lysa TerKeurst. Over the next few weeks, I kept referring back to it until I finally went and bought it. It’s one of the most powerful books for women I have ever read. Here’s a quote:
"The decisions you make today matter. Every decision points your life in the direction you are about to travel."
Decisions determine direction. I don't know about you, but sometimes, when I'm at home with the kids, it feels like my decisions do not matter one bit and there is absolutely NO direction. Why get dressed? Why not eat all the cookies? Why clean up? One day of not doing laundry and the pile is insurmountable, but does it really matter?
Lysa TerKeurst breathes life into the everyday tasks and restores a sense of long-term vision and purpose to the daily grind.
"Remember the decisions you make determine the schedule you keep. The schedule you keep determines the life you live. And how you live your life determines how you spend your soul.”

It’s worth reading. I’ll send you my copy. Just ignore the tear and wine stains.




0 comments

Instagram

FOLLOW US @ INSTAGRAM>