The Meaning of Christmas

December 21, 2015, by Deena @Shoes to Shiraz

It's Christmas week already, which is hard to believe! Yes, it's the most wonderful time of the year isn't it? Typically, it's busy with parties, programs and pageants as well as shopping, wrapping and traveling. What a whirlwind it can be! Yet, amongst all the busyness I am usually reminded of the sweet childhood memories with my family while I was growing up in Iowa.

At Christmas time there was usually a blanket of snow on the ground and the air was crisp. Our family {my mom's side} would gather on Christmas Eve and attend church together. From there we all piled into Grandma and Grandpa's house for the best homemade delights to fill our tummies. Being from Norwegian descent we had some traditional food and usually sang I Am So Glad Each Christmas Eve in the native tongue {Norwegian that is}. Here's what that sounded like.



Okay, they are probably better than we were but it was a sweet time! There was always some favorite foods too, which were Norwegian, of course. For me, I always loved my Grandma's lefse and my aunt's kringla. I made a Pinterest board in case you're interested in seeing what those are. The one food that I refused to eat was called lutefisk. It's cod-fish dried {in lye}. It's cooked in boiling water and served with hot butter. Trust me...the hot butter is the best part.

We also had a stories, laughs, a gift exchange and a birthday cake for Jesus. Of course we did! He's the reason that we actually have the blessing to celebrate Christmas. It was one of my favorite days of the year growing up and I cherish those memories.
Now that I'm actually on the empty nest side of life and live far away from most of my family, Christmas is different. I still long for those favorite moments from my childhood and Norwegian food but what's most important is that I still celebrate the birth of Jesus, Immanuel, God with us.

Yes, I'll still go to church on Christmas Eve and I like to wear something pretty. I'm not sure what's going to be this year but this is my ootd from last year.
DSC_1225_2

I'm sure we all have favorite Christmas songs. I grew up listening to Andy Williams, Johnny Mathis as well as Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra and Nat King Cole. Some great singers and I loved pulling out the vinyl when I was growing up to hear the traditional carols being sung. Back in the 90's a country singer {John Berry} released a version of O Holy Night that I simply adore and wanted to share with you.


The best way to spread Christmas cheer is to sing loud for all to hear...Buddy the Elf said something like that didn't he? This Flash Mob might just be evidence to support Buddy's belief. It's another personal favorite.





Merriest of Christmas to you, dear readers! I not only hope that you'll enjoy time with precious loved ones and build joyous memories but honestly my hope is that you know the one whose birth is celebrated during this season. Be Merry. Be Bright. Be Blessed!


Carrie is a regular contributor for The Blended Blog and also maintains her own blog over at A Lovely Little Wardrobe.  In her spare time Carrie can be found finding the beauty in the everyday through scripture or in her relationships.  She is a soft spoken Texas with a big heart and an even bigger desire to find the good in the world.

0 comments

Instagram

FOLLOW US @ INSTAGRAM>